GayerAndersonhouse2779AET

Gayer Anderson House

The museum gets its current name from a British major, John Gayer-Anderson who lived in this beautiful 17th-century house between 1935 and 1942. He restored the two adjoining houses, furnishing them with antiquities, artworks and Oriental artefacts. The rooms are decorated in a variety of styles. Some parts of the house were dedicated only to women known as Haramlik and others for men known as Salamlik.The real attraction however, are the two houses themselves with enchanting mashrabiyya's (latticed wood window screens that women could look through without being seen) and a magnificent reception hall with a central marble fountain. The museum is a fine example of a 17th century Islamic house. It is located adjacent to the Ibn Tulun Mosque in the medieval part of Cairo.